If you’re in a car or motorcycle accident, you could receive an auto bodily injury. If you were not at fault for the accident, you’ll need to get compensation from the other party or their insurance. This can be difficult, so make sure that you hire a personal injury lawyer to do it for you. If you don’t know how to choose the right personal injury lawyer, consult with a few in your area. Make sure that they cover auto accidents, since personal injury is a large field. Once you find the right lawyer, they can negotiate on your behalf.
Auto bodily injury coverage is part of your car insurance policy. If you are injured, you may be covered by your own policy or by the other party’s coverage a bodily injury and property damage. By hiring a lawyer, you can speed up the process of getting that money. You’ll be less likely to make mistakes along the way that can reduce the amount you get or extend the time you’ll wait. You need this money, so make sure that you hire a lawyer.
Riding a motorcycle can be very dangerous. Nearly 4,700 people lost their lives in motorcycle accidents in 2013. That same year, another 88,0000 people were injured in motorcycle accidents. People in motor vehicle accidents are at least 26 times more likely to be killed when they are riding on a motorcycle. If you have been injured in one of these motorcycle accidents and it was not your fault, you may have a case for seeking out a personal injury lawyer to help.
- Talk to the people you know. Given the number of accidents and the amount of lawsuits that Americans like to file every year, the chances are good that you know someone who has needed a personal injury law firm. Their issue may not have been at all related to motorcycle accidents and the car accident lawyer they saw may not be the best person for you to hire but they can give you some ideas about where to look. Ask them how they found their lawyer, what they thought about working with them and how much they spent (if you do not feel comfortable asking about that, you can skip it). The best way to find decent products and services is to get a personal referral.
- Find person injury law firms with a lot of experience. Many people around the United States assume that personal injury lawyers like to talk people into filing lawsuits that have no merit but the opposite it really true. Many personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis so they do not get paid their fee if they do not win your case. That means there really is no incentive to pursue cases that are frivolous. After many motorcycle accidents, when people are hurt they may not be in the best position to judge the merits of their lawsuit. A good personal injury lawyer with a lot of experience can let you know your chances for winning. They can also give you a more accurate sense of how much you can expect to receive in compensation.
- You need a lawyer who specializes in your kind of case. Under the umbrella of personal injury law, there are a lot of sub-specialties. This is a lot like medical practices. If you shatter your shoulder, you will see an orthopedist but you do not want to see a knee specialist for your shoulder injury. Likewise, there are slip and fall lawyers who may be great at what they do but cannot help people who were injured in motorcycle accidents, for example. You should find out how much of their time is spent on your kind of case, how much experience they have with it and their track record in negotiating decent settlements for their clients. The vast majority of these cases (more than 99%) are settled out of court so you want someone who has a lot of experience negotiating good settlements.
- Find a law firm with a good reputation. Given the number of settlements and the importance of being able to negotiate, the lawyer’s reputation around town and with the insurance companies and others is going to play a much bigger role in the kind of settlement you will get than you may realize. Ask around and do some online research to see what people have to say about the lawyer and their law firm before you hire anyone.
- How well can you communicate with this person? Whenever you are dealing with a personal injury lawsuit, the injured party (you) will need to share some very personal and painful things with your lawyer. If you do not feel you can do this with the lawyer you are looking to handle your case, you need to find someone else to take your case. It will impossible to do the best job for you and get you the settlement you deserve if you cannot be totally open and honest with that person and the others who will be working on your case.
The time you spend looking into getting the right lawyer will pay off with a better settlement.